Funeral Payments from the Social Fund
Funeral Payments from the Social Fund is a scheme run by the government to support people on a low income with essential expenses.
The payment is recoverable from your loved one’s estate, if they’ve left one.
How do I know whether I'm eligible?
You may be eligible for a Funeral Payment from the Social Fund if you:
- Are responsible for the funeral
- Already receive certain benefits or tax credits
- Meet the criteria regarding your relationship with the deceased
- Claim within the date of death and up to 3 months after the date of the funeral
What financial support will this offer?
The Funeral Payment from the Social Fund can help pay for:
- Burial fees and exclusive rights to a burial at your chosen plot
- Cremation fees, including the cost of the doctor’s certificate
- Up to £700 for funeral expenses, for example - funeral director’s fees, flowers and the coffin
- Travel costs for the funeral arrangements and/or the funeral itself
- The costs of moving the body more than 50 miles (within the UK)
The average payment made is £1,200 - £1,300
Please note: Payments may be affected by a Pre-paid Funeral Plan.
For further information or to apply visit: www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-social-fund-technical-guidance
The Simple Funeral
Our Simple Funeral allows us to provide a caring and quality service at a fair cost. A simple, lower-cost funeral option at £1,995 with the comfort of knowing that quality isn’t compromised.Click here to find out more